vixine - quest for fun - yiffy furry comicsQuest for Fun  furry adultvixine - yiffy pics and comics
   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
What book are you reading now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: What book are you reading now? Reply with quote

Ok, ok, so it's just another book club. But books are great, and I like to talk about them. That being the case I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling. Currently I'm re-reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman and the "Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny, both of which are of the fantasy variety (contemporary and mideval-ish, respectively). I'm normally more of a sci-fi guy (David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series has jumped into the #1 slot in my sci-fi list) but I do occasionally need my fantasy fix too. Roger Zelazny's use of the first-person perxpective, particularly in the "Chronicles of Amber", is masterfully done as well.

Ok, I could easliy go on for an hour or two on this alone, but hoging the spotlight wouldn't be fair to all of you out there who are just dying to get a chance to talk. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Drofgod969
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am reading "1000 orcs" i frogot who it was done by. (dont have the book next to me). it is from the Frogotten relms series.
Let me stand behind you in times of peace, let me stand infront of you in times of war, let me stand beside you as a equall, as a friend.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of both of those books you mention. I haven't read anything by Zelasny, but his name keeps popping up on the book forums I visit. I've been meaning to look into what all the talk is about.

I've heard good things about American Gods as well. A lot of people think it's the best Gaiman book there is. I don't know. I've only read Neverwhere, and while it was okay and had a lot of great ideas, it was a bit too young adult for me. I guess I wonder if American Gods is the same.

I'm currently reading The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan. It's fantasy, which is my favorite genre, but I'll have to wait until I finish it to say whether it's good orr not. I'm only about halfway through, and while it's nicely gritty and graphic, the story hasn't grabbed me the way many of the favoruite books use to.

and 1000 orcs is by R.A. Salvatore, I believe. It's one of the Drizzt books, right?

Constance Mayflower's diary

The Mayflower Diaries
Drofgod969
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep that the one.
Let me stand behind you in times of peace, let me stand infront of you in times of war, let me stand beside you as a equall, as a friend.
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we only supposed to be talking about books we're currently reading? Because I already did that in a different thread. Otherwise, I can highly recommend The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. I've only read the first two books, The Shadow of the Torturer and The Claw of the Conciliator (which were packaged together as Shadow & Claw), but it's a pretty amazing read. I hope to borrow my friend's copy of The Sword of the Lictor and The Citadel of the Autarch (again, packaged together as Sword & Citadel) to finish the series...

Johnny's backstory
Johnny, Mark II (Project Aten character)
sexymanz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What book are you reading now? Reply with quote

Xebulon wrote:

Ok, I could easliy go on for an hour or two on this alone, but hoging the spotlight wouldn't be fair to all of you out there who are just dying to get a chance to talk. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I think he was refering to me lol... correct me if im wrong lol ^.^
I guess im not really going to be a member anytime soon... so please members of BonBon... please help me out with my character discriptions so that way maybe one day a artist here can put a pic of my character on a forum... i would love to see that happen one day... (anyone please?)
Tadelesh
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell. It's the first in the Jon Shannow series. I only started it yesterday, after finishing Fall of Kings, the last in Gemmell's Troy trilogy, and I'm already about a third into it (I had a couple of long train journeys yesterday, prime reading time).

It's post-apocalyptic fantasy, different from the rest of Gemmell's so far that I've read, which were almost all medieval(sp?) fantasy. The way Shannow quotes the Old Testament before and after killing people is slightly chilling.

Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyPsycho wrote:
Are we only supposed to be talking about books we're currently reading? Because I already did that in a different thread. Otherwise, I can highly recommend The Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. I've only read the first two books, The Shadow of the Torturer and The Claw of the Conciliator (which were packaged together as Shadow & Claw), but it's a pretty amazing read. I hope to borrow my friend's copy of The Sword of the Lictor and The Citadel of the Autarch (again, packaged together as Sword & Citadel) to finish the series...

Book in general I suppose, otherwise subject matter might get limited from time to time. And which thread Johnny? I just kinda made this one on the spot without much forethought or research.
Krystal Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Art Of War Sun Tzu.... it's very interesting it's actually helping me in my gaming and a few other things.
EmperorRevan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Witching Hour, by Ann Rice. Apparently it's almost as old as I am, or is. But WHOA it's Dark and Cool, I was partly inspired to make my avatar Kein a full vampire because of it, thats all

link to my pic http://yiffstar.com/?pid=61331
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xebulon wrote:
And which thread Johnny? I just kinda made this one on the spot without much forethought or research.

http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5991

We can probably keep using this thread, though, since the other seemed to be going off topic...

To basically reiterate what I said earlier, I'm very sporadic about my reading habits. Sometimes I can read a book without being able to put it down and finish in a couple days, and sometimes I end up setting a book down and don't get around to finishing for months or even years. The last physical book I finished was American Gods, and the last e-book I read was World War Z by Max Brooks. I have about three books I'm in the middle of reading... and when I say that, I mean I put them down months ago and haven't picked them back up yet. Those are Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond, Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, and The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi by Tanigawa Nagaru.

Johnny's backstory
EmperorRevan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Melencholy of Suzumia, though I've only watched the anime up to episode 14 english dubbed at veoh. You know what I'm going there right now to see if that girl has uploaded the others.

For all the other Bon Bonians CHOW

For Johny Psycho (*eyes slowly turn to him*) Ciao, HA HA got ya

*EDIT*
Well just checked, it's a no, but i did learn there's a video game of it, weird
sexymanz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is an old topic to bring back up but still... BonBon as a MMO would be nice. i would become a member no matter what...
I would become my character and go around giving random hugs...
because im nice... dont think i wont give random hugs to people, hugs are the best... almost ^_^[/list]
I guess im not really going to be a member anytime soon... so please members of BonBon... please help me out with my character discriptions so that way maybe one day a artist here can put a pic of my character on a forum... i would love to see that happen one day... (anyone please?)
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, sexymanz. If you want to discuss the idea of a Bon Bon MMO then please do so. In the appropriate tpoic.
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyPsycho wrote:
The last physical book I finished was American Gods...

This is my third or fourth time through it. Once I start I find it hard to put down. Though a lot of the mythology in it is unfamiliar to me. I've been able to find some information on some of the gods but most not enough to be useful.

JohnnyPsycho wrote:
I have about three books I'm in the middle of reading... and when I say that, I mean I put them down months ago and haven't picked them back up yet. Those are Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond, Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, and The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi by Tanigawa Nagaru.

How is "Anansi Boys", in your opinion? That's one I haven't read yet.
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xebulon wrote:
How is "Anansi Boys", in your opinion? That's one I haven't read yet.

Honestly, I've only read probably the first two chapters before I set it down one day and forgot about it. It definitely has a similar feel to American Gods, but without having gotten much further in the book, I couldn't tell you how it compares...

Johnny's backstory
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Guns, Germs and Steel? It's definitely an interesting title?
Taliesin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a good book to read myself. I would really like to read something fantasy-like and epic, but, alas, we're totally overflooded by LOTR clones, and most books end up to be the first of a HUGE series I'll never get thru.

Anyone knowing any STAND alone epic novel that's still cool and full of awe whose characters are totally outstanding and that's not a movie yet??? XD thank you!
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taliesin wrote:
I can't find a good book to read myself. I would really like to read something fantasy-like and epic, but, alas, we're totally overflooded by LOTR clones, and most books end up to be the first of a HUGE series I'll never get thru.

Anyone knowing any STAND alone epic novel that's still cool and full of awe whose characters are totally outstanding and that's not a movie yet??? XD thank you!

Hmm, I can't really think of a single stand alone fantasy novel that's good at the moment. They all seem to be trilogies or longer. Especially the really epic ones. But there are some that feels a bit stand alone-ish.

And I agree that it can be frustrating that most fantasy books are in series, especially when you have to wait for years before it's finished.

The Mayflower Diaries
JohnnyPsycho
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xebulon wrote:
What about Guns, Germs and Steel? It's definitely an interesting title?

It's a non-fiction book that basically takes the bold choice of plotting out the development of human civilization throughout history all over the world, and explaining why certain cultures developed advanced technologies or had immunities to certain diseases while others did not. It doesn't use the usual sociology or archaeology approach, instead delving deep into subjects like geology, developments in agriculture, climate differnces, etc. to piece together all the factors that created such large differences in technology and wealth among certain cultures in the world. It's a very fascinating read, but is so dense with scientific facts and figures that I found myself getting distracted easily. Again, I only got part way through before my short attention span got the best of me, but I do intend on finishing it some day.

Johnny's backstory
Tadelesh
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Taliesin, David Gemmell has a few stand-alone books, as well as his several series. I think he's an amazing author of fantasy, so maybe you could try one of those. They're Knights of Dark Renown, Morning Star, Dark Moon and Echoes of the Great Song. I haven't read any of them myself yet, though.

I've finished Wolf in Shadow, now. I'm going to start Ghost King soon, another David Gemmell book. It's the first of the Stones of Power series.

Last edited by Tadelesh on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taliesin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tadelesh wrote:
Well, Taliesin, David Gemmell has a few stand-alone books, as well as his several series. I think he's an amazing author of fantasy, so maybe you could try one of those. They're Knights of Dark Renown, Morning Star, Dark Moon and Echoes of the Great Song. I haven't read any of them myself yet, though.

I've finished Wolf in Shadows, now. I'm going to start Ghost King soon, another David Gemmell book. It's the first of the Stones of Power series.

Oh thank you, I'll try and find something by him in italian around here - or just purchase an english copy thru ebay.
Tadelesh
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlesticks. I'm going to try and read through Ghost King quickly, I hope; I got four new books delivered today and I don't want to wait too long to read them. I ordered them a couple months ago, but one or two of them were pre-ordered, and I asked for them to all be sent in one delivery, so they've only just come now as one of the pre-ordered ones was only recently released. They're Eldest and Brisingr, the second and third books of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (Eragon is the first); Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer, the latest (sixth) in the Artemis Fowl series; and Snakehead, the latest (seventh) book from Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series.
Taliesin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the book worm hm? So, since we're talking about fantasy readings and such, I was wondering if anyone ever tried to publish books about "the elder scrolls" series. With a background world worth LOTR, I am positive alot of interesting novels and romances could easily come out.

For you that don't know what I am talking about, I'll leave 4 hints:

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion.

Any bell ringing? I mean, the world Bethesda Softworks team works upon is something majestic (as you can see from one unofficial WIKI here), and there are alot of people giving it a try. Question is, has anything ever been published? I am a bitch for original stuff...
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if someone didn't publish books based on the Elder Scrolls, since ithe games are so popular. Actually, I'm surprised that there aren't any books out yet, since the game has been around for some time. But I haven't played the game, and in recent years I've turned away from books based on games, even when it's games I really like. Though I might just give a Fallout book a try, if anything like that is ever written.

As for myself, I'm still reading The Steel Remains. I don't read all that much every day, but I'm nearing the ending, and I'll have to say that it's a decent read, though the hardcore gay sex scenes are a little unnecessary, IMO.

And I'm waiting for one of the Harry Dresden books I've ordered. They are entertaining enough. Kind of like a TV series. Notp articularly deep or thought provoking, but entertaining nonetheless.

The Mayflower Diaries
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taliesin wrote:

You might enjoy the "Chronicles of Amber" series I mentioned earlier. Granted, there are ten books in the series but they are all fairly short, only a couple hundred pages each, and they read very quickly.
Tadelesh
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd keep this up-to-date, and mention that I've finished Ghost King and am now reading Snakehead. After reading Ghost King, I've realised how interesting it is that David Gemmell can write about the same events in different ways, depending on the book/series it's in. Ghost King contained a couple mentions about Troy, in stark contrast to the books he later wrote about Troy. It also had a fair amount about Atlantis, which there was also a lot about in Wolf in Shadow, but a rather different take on it.
Taliesin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xebulon wrote:
Taliesin wrote:

You might enjoy the "Chronicles of Amber" series I mentioned earlier. Granted, there are ten books in the series but they are all fairly short, only a couple hundred pages each, and they read very quickly.

Hmmm could be a good idea indeed. I always kept an eye on that series.
Tadelesh
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've finished Snakehead and I'm now reading Eragon for a second time, to remind me of what happened before reading the next two books. I won't be updating this thread quite so often for a while now; they're a heck of a lot longer than the last few books I read. Laughing
Xebulon
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished my current books, back into the Guant's Ghosts series. Lotsa fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2