vixine - quest for fun - yiffy furry comicsQuest for Fun  furry adultvixine - yiffy pics and comics
   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Electrical questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayfield

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Electrical questions Reply with quote

Alright, to anyone who's dealt with electrical work before, have you ever heard of two-phase? My dad swears up and down that's what he's powering their hot tub with, but that's the weird part, there's no such thing! It can only be single-phase or three-phase. Unless he's got two single-phase lines going into it, I just don't get where he's coming up with that whole 2-phase bit, any ideas?

And just for the fun of it, here's some electrical trivia:

Six wires are going into a box. The box houses a switch, what color are the wires and where do they go?

My FA

---Fursonna---
Rhoda Mayfield
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took electrical installation at college, however I believe American electrics are different from British. Not just voltage but amps too.
As for the wiring question: It should be Red/Brown for the positive wire, Blue for negative wire and green/green and yellow stripe for the earth wire. But again I believe the U.S. has different wiring codes.
Terminus: http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239198#239198

We are grey. We stand between the star and the candle.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/brigwyn/
Mayfield

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we're American, so we like being different. Tongue Our normal voltages range from 110-120 on outlets, then for three-phase, it could be either 230-240 for low voltage or 460-480 for high voltage. And yes, once again, we're different just to be different. xP Our hot/positive wires are normally black but can be red/orange/brown/yellow, depending on the phase. Our neutral/negative wires are usually white or grey, and our ground/earth wire is always green or simply bare.

Gotta love America. Problem child of the world.... nevermind, North Korea is. America is the red-headed step child that just wants to be different. x.x

My FA

---Fursonna---
Rhoda Mayfield
Tearlach
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Britain is smaller then some states it is not surprising we are a little more standardized. Domestic wall outlet voltage is 230/40 and of course 480/500+ for the heavier industrial usage,
It was not until the mid 1930's it became standardized across the country. Up to then you had different voltages, amps even plugs and sockets varying from county to county and even city to city depending on who was supplying the electricity.
Terminus: http://forums.pleasurebonbon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=239198#239198

We are grey. We stand between the star and the candle.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/brigwyn/
Mayfield

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, though we do have a standard code for the whole country. Then each state/county/city can have their own codes, though they're always just making things stricter then the national codes.

My FA

---Fursonna---
Rhoda Mayfield
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1