vixine - quest for fun - yiffy furry comicsQuest for Fun  furry adultvixine - yiffy pics and comics
   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Adventure Time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Adventure Time Reply with quote

((Hey Gang,

Okay... so I've been catching myself watching Adventure Time a little more often from Cartoon Network. And... a disturbing question came to me...

...does anyone else find it unsettling that the main character is the only pure-strain human left? I mean... as far as I can tell, it's either one, really elaborate dream Finn is having, or... he's the only human left after some horrible, horrible war... which has been given the even creepier name of "The Mushroom War". Add in the creepy, desolate, wasteland that starts the title credits, complete with unexploded nuclear, ordinance, and it adds to the idea that Finn is unique. In this case "unique" meanly "One-and-only". Especially after hearing Princess Rainicorn's father say something to the effect of "Human... I thought they were all extinct."

So... yeah. Me and wondering about Adventure Time. ))
xivk
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your trying to put logic to a cartoon network show of these times. Their shows make no sense these days. lol

I am the ghost of games... What i am, all i will be
-Xivk
Leaf
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen a few episodes of the show, I can see your point.... 0_0
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its kind of depressing actually.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a pretty big fan of this show. A lot of imagination went into it.
Always makes me laugh.
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder.... the term 'mushroom war' might be derived from the mushroom clouds that are made from nuclear detonations. This might indicate a nuclear holocaust since, from my understanding of the observations I made, showed evidence of human civilization before Finn's time. How he came to be though is a mystery since he has no story as to how he came into the land of Ooh (or however you spell it) and his history only goes as far back as when Jake's parents adopted him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently a Great War did take place. There are various scenes in the series that show destroyed tanks, bombed out buildings and various other post-apocalyptic stuff.
BloodRaven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

Setting

The show is set in a fictional continent called the "Land of Ooo",[15] in a post-apocalyptic future about a thousand years after a nuclear war called the "Great Mushroom War." According to Ward, the show takes place "after the bombs have fallen and magic has come back into the world".[16] Ward admitted "[he] never planned it – [he] just saw this world as a magical place. The show developed organically – someone would add an element to the world, and it would stick." Ward went on to state that the writers decided on it during the production of the season one episode "Business Time" which centers around "businessmen rising up from an iceberg at the bottom of a lake."[10]

In "The Real You", when Finn wears the Glasses of Nerdicon, planet Earth can be briefly seen from space, with a large chunk missing from it. Later it is shown in the episode "Five Short Graybles," which initially shows the storyteller with a rotating holographic globe with a portion missing, where the North American continent would be. In "Sons of Mars", this depiction of planet Earth is again presented, but this time, not fleetingly like in previous episodes. During a presentation at the Toronto Comic Arts Festival, Ward said that this will likely never be directly addressed in the series.

References to the war are shown constantly in the background of the show. Ward intentionally adds these and other things to the background. "What I wanted to do was make a game out of every episode of Adventure Time, where you could freeze-frame and find things in the background," said Ward on these Easter eggs. The first two seconds of the opening credits show nuclear bombs, melee weapons and other abandoned human items scattered everywhere, and a skull on the ground. In "Ocean of Fear", when Finn and Jake are out in the middle of the ocean, there is a tank on the small patch of land they swim to. Later on, when they swim to the bottom of the ocean, there are a many sunken cars and tall sunken buildings; this may be a reference to the rising ocean levels caused by Climate Change. When Jake and Finn fight the Lich in "Mortal Folly", they do so in an abandoned subway station. In the episodes "Memory of a Memory" and "I Remember You" flashbacks to Marceline's childhood show her residing in an unpopulated, destroyed city with broken bridges and buildings on fire.

The war's effect on humans is also shown, with there seeming to be no other fully human character except for Finn. However, human remains are scattered all around Ooo. Also, in "Beautopia," a character by the name of Susan Strong is implied to be human as well, although it is unclear whether she is really human or she belongs to a strange fish-headed, animal-hatted mutant tribe. In "Holly Jolly Secrets", Finn and Jake discover a few secret VHS tapes by the Ice King, the last of which shows Ice King as a human. In the tape, he explains he purchased his golden crown from an old dock worker in northern Scandinavia. In "Her Parents" Lady Rainicorn's parents try to eat Finn and after Jake stops them they admit that they thought they would never get another chance to eat a human, implying that humans were hunted, killed, and eaten. This is a possible explanation for why Finn and the fish people wear animal hats, in an attempt to camouflage themselves from potential predators.
The way of the Ninja is the way of enduring, surviving, and prevailing over all that would destroy one. More than merely delivering strikes and slashes, and deeper in significance than the simple out-witting of an enemy; Ninjutsu is the way off attaining that which we need while making the world a better place.

- Toshitsugu Takamatsu
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

((Hey All,

Well, while it is... weirdly dark-curious at times, I don't know if I'd put it as full on depressing. More... disturbing. Similar to how the Mad Hatter talks in Alice: Madness Returns. When you listen to him the first time, none of his comments make sense... but... when you replay the game, all his comments chillingly make sense.

And, now that I've caught some of the other episodes, the... relationships between some of the characters is... also very... enigmatic almost to the point of maddening.

I do like the fact that Susan Strong is hinted at being human; however, her physique is different enough that she could easily be a mutant as well... just a more human-esq mutant. Akin to how, in the Warhammer 40k universe, Space Marines are technically mutants, and the only Pure Strain Humans left are Imperial Guard. Anyway, I'm still of the opinion that while she looks the most human, she's also a mutant. Something to think about is that her size and stamina as well as her skittish personality are very much oger-ish in nature.

OH! Total non-sequitor. Mondo-delux-bonus-easter-egg points to anyone who catches the "Pure Strain Human" reference. ))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1