vixine - quest for fun - yiffy furry comicsQuest for Fun  furry adultvixine - yiffy pics and comics
   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 
Schapelle Corby

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dally

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Schapelle Corby Reply with quote

Every once in a while a gross injustice presents itself and captures one's attention.This post is to familiarise everyone in here with the plight of Schapelle Corby.As a believer and advocate of justice and basic freedoms I feel compelled to make people aware of this girl's predicament, and rally support for her.
Here are the basic facts. Schapelle travelled from Brisbane to Sydney on a domestic flight to link with flight to Denpasar,Bali to meet up with and holiday with her sister.On arrival at Denpasar Indonesian customs found 4kg(9lb) of marijuana in her bodyboard(surfboard) cover.She was held , charged and yesterday convicted of drug smuggling and sentenced to 20yrs jail.Schapelle has proclaimed her innocence from day one,she claims that she had no knowledge of the drugs and must have been put in her bag by someone else.
All sounds fair enough? Myself(and from a recent poll 92% of Australians) believe her to be innocent.Here are the basic reasons why-
Australia has a domestic drug trafficking problem that involves the baggage handlers at airports. Attention has come to this since Schapelle's arrest. Drugs are placed in someones luggage by a corrupt handler at one end and removed by another at the luggage's destination. The fed's have made numerous bust's since Schapelle's arrest. Other people have come forward stating theyve found drugs in their luggage when they arrived at their destinations. Schapelle checked her luggage in at Brisbane airport and didnt see again til she got to Denpasar. It is the common belief here that Schapelle is the victim of a bungled drug movement from Brisbane to Sydney.Schapelles bag wasnt weighed at Brisbane nor at Denpasar, the Indonesian police performed no forensic tests on the bag in Bali.
The other main reason which suggests her innocence is lack of motive.I dont smoke marijuana but it's common knowledge that the price of it in Bali is a fraction of what it costs in Australia. Schapelle had a commercial quantitiy of drugs in her bag, the concept of smuggling marijuana from Australia to Bali is akin to manufacturing ice in Arizona ,shipping it north and selling it to the eskimos.
Schapelle's situation has been front page news in Australia for months.She has no criminal record and association with drugs has come to light.Her trial has been followed keenly, its apparent that she hasnt received a fair trial. The judges(there's 3 in an Indonesian trial and no jury)
were caught laughing at her attempts to defend herself and gave her defense no merit. The senior judge has chaired 500 drug cases and convicted every one. He stated in an interview that he doesnt aquit for fear of being accused of taking bribes. It is apparent in this court you are guilty with little hope of proving yourself innocent.
Schapelle's innocence is apparent to most people who have followed her case. If this topic is of interest to anyone there are numerous websites/forums and petitions where you can contribute.What happened to Schapelle can happen to anybody, she is now sitting on the dirt floor of an Indonesian jail cell, with the prospects of spending the next 20 years of her life there.
calvert

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Schapelle Corby Reply with quote

Stuff like this just makes me physically ill. No real trial, no investigation of ALL relevant information, no chance of defending yourself. You'd like to think that the Australian govt could really do something here in terms of political pressure and/or political "barter". Unfortunately, many countries around the world feel it's a badge of honor to "catch" someone from a democratic society...as "proof" of the moral decay that comes with individual freedoms. Stories like this just make you realize how many societies have never progressed far beyond the middle ages in terms of political and judicial philosophies. You just wish there was something you could do...you know?! This really f'in sucks. Thanks for bringing this situation to light...it's not the first of this type and unfortunately won't be the last. It doesn't feel like it's really accomplishing much...but direct me to some websites where this is being addressed...I'll throw my name in the ring.

I would also encourage everyone here on Jana's boards to pay attention to the growing crisis in the Sudan. There is a genocide being perpetrated in that country (with full govt support) that is starting to rival what took place in Rwanda 10 years ago. As with Rwanda...no govts with any military might are doing anything about it...not the US, not Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Canada, etc, etc. Just another total and complete UN failure. I'm ashamed that my govt will act to free the Iraqi people from tyranical/violent oppression, but just stands on the sidelines as genocide becomes common practice in Africa...10 years ago (Clinton) and now (Bush Jr). I guess there's no oil to be found in the Sudan. All the major industrial and military powers in this world should be ashamed of lthemselves for letting this kind of thing happen. After WWII...everyone said never again...then came Cambodia and everyone said never again...then came Nicaragua, Rwanda, etc, etc. It's too bad...it really is.
dally

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, many countries around the world feel it's a badge of honor to "catch" someone from a democratic society...as "proof" of the moral decay that comes with individual freedoms

This is extremely well put mate.Schapelle's treatment from the Indonesian police and judges at her trial reeks of this sentiment. The prosecutors are appealling schapelle's sentence, they feel it's too lenient. Some of the main conspirers to the Bali bombings that killed 202 mainly western people got 2 and a half years jail for their actions.Schapelle's defense is lodging an appeal .From news reports it's been stated that a lot of defense appeals in Indonesia can result in a harsher sentence. Schapelle still faces the possibility of receiving the death sentence.
Here are some links
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/corby
www.schapellecorby.com
www.dontshootschapelle.com/petition.html
Ronald
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It is rather scary to learn that traveling is almost not safe anymore.

Anybody can be a victim of a crime they're not involved in.

I feel better about not having to check in bags when I try. I'm always using a carry on.

-R

http://www.eadultcomics.com/ - for the best in online erotic adult comics
http://www.eadultgames.com/ - adult games, strip poker, strip blackjack, and more.
dally

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People over here now Ron are wrapping their luggage in heavy plastic and binding the whole thing up with duct tape.
Im no fearmonger but after 9/11 the government here introduced a levy
on all air travel to pay for beefed up airport security. Everyone payed it and assumed they had airport security"up the arse".The bag of dope they pulled out of Schapelle's bag was the size of a bed pillow.Someone got that into Brisbane airport ,into someones bag and onto a plane.
calvert

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dally wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, many countries around the world feel it's a badge of honor to "catch" someone from a democratic society...as "proof" of the moral decay that comes with individual freedoms

This is extremely well put mate.Schapelle's treatment from the Indonesian police and judges at her trial reeks of this sentiment. The prosecutors are appealling schapelle's sentence, they feel it's too lenient. Some of the main conspirers to the Bali bombings that killed 202 mainly western people got 2 and a half years jail for their actions.Schapelle's defense is lodging an appeal .From news reports it's been stated that a lot of defense appeals in Indonesia can result in a harsher sentence. Schapelle still faces the possibility of receiving the death sentence.
Here are some links
www.petitionspot.com/petitions/corby
www.schapellecorby.com
www.dontshootschapelle.com/petition.html

It's almost a no win situation in a lot of ways. It's a very complex and difficult game the Australian govt and citizen groups have to play here. If the political and economic pressure put on the Indonesian govt is too stong and intense...they will reflexively and defensively spit in the face of this criticism and make a public spectacle of a harsh sentence...i.e. you cannot tell us how to run our country!! If we're a little too quiet or timid with our "pressure"...it will be taken as a sign of admitting the guilt of this poor lady. This is a political and cultural prize for them. The fact that the murderers of 88 people (mostly Australians right?) got only a couple of years...tells you all you need to know about how this govt perceives citizens of so called "democratic" countries. Strangely though...this political and moral pressure from bigger countries (with large media presence) keeps these people alive. I read a CNN report that said that citizens of 3rd world countries (Africa, Central America, etc) who are caught in similar circumstances in countries like Indonesia...are almost always put to death, because no one is really paying much attention. So, perhaps we can take a little solice in the fact that the attention on the Indonesians has kept her alive for now. My hope is that the Australian govt can work out some sort of exchange...where she (and others) can be returned to Australia to serve out their sentences. This doesn't address her guilt / innocence...but I'd rather spend 20 years in an Australian jail than 1 year in an Indonesian jail I would think.

Whatever the moral travesty being commited here...I guess the biggest lesson is watch your ass at all times. If you leave your country...hell, your neighborhood...you better be prepared for anything. Thanks again for bringing this up "dally"..this story had only been on the fringe of the news here in the US...at least until yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1